Small Grants Program
Grants of up to $15,000 are offered to small nonprofit organizations for time-sensitive needs.
- Applicants must meet The Foundation's minimum eligibility requirements.
- Applicants must be tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) or any applicable statute of the Internal Revenue code or have a fiscal agent with the appropriate tax status.
- Applicants must be serving people within the Community Foundation's twenty-town region.
- Applicants must have an operating budget of $2M or less.
- Applicants who received a grant from The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven in the previous three years must be up to date with all reporting requirements.
Funding Request Types
The following requests will be considered:
- Project Support - A grant for a new or existing specific project.
- Capacity Building Support - A grant for short-term financial assistance to build the infrastructure of an organization for long term success. Requests for capacity building include but are not limited to: board development; strategic planning; evaluation; and capital expenditures including equipment, building renovations or relocation.
- General Operating Support (GOS) - A grant made to further the general mission and work of an organization, rather than for a specific purpose or project. General Operating Support gives nonprofits flexibility to direct their spending where it is needed most and allows greater focus on achieving an organization’s mission.
Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis until the funding is no longer available. The application review process takes approximately 8 weeks.
Although, grants could be as much as $15,000 depending on the available resources, typical grants will be in the range on $3,000 to $7,500. Please note that the maximum amount that nonprofits are able to apply for is subject to change.
Please email Denise Canning at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application.