Neighborhood Leadership Program participants create projects that build community.
The application deadline for 2020 has passed
The deadline to apply for this program was 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 21, 2020. Please check again in December and subscribe to our mailing list.
What is the Neighborhood Leadership Program?
The program is resident leadership and grant program for community leaders to imagine, develop, test and realize projects that build community and provide positive outcomes.
Who should apply?
New Haven, West Haven, East Haven or Hamden residents who have demonstrated a commitment to making a positive difference through resident engagement are eligible to apply. If you are eager to build skills, develop your capacity to increase your impact, and engage with other leaders in learning, practice, and project execution, you should apply to this program.
What skills and practices will you learn?
- Appreciating and using your personal strengths and core values.
- Building relational culture in your community and with other leaders.
- Understanding the resources and challenges involved in creating the community you want.
- Creating and using a group of allies to support you in your work.
- Designing and implementing a pilot project that will positively impact your community.
- Learning from your pilot how to modify or scale up your project.
- Developing and managing the human and material resources you need to produce effective positive impact.
What’s required of you? (What you give):
- Download 2020 training schedule with dates and time commitments.
- Mandatory participation in all training sessions.
- Plan on the estimated hours per month required for building relational culture, small group work and coaching sessions after each training.
- Plan, develop, carry out, and evaluate a pilot project.
- Plan and develop a second project. Seek local resources to help support a your second project based on your experience with the pilot project. You could grow your pilot project to a bigger scale, develop a new project in a new community or work in collaboration with another leader you have met in the leadership program.
- Creative energy: learning, listening, imagining, building, realizing.
- Commitment: to yourself, to other participants, to the people you serve, to the city.
What’s offered? (What you get):
- Training: new frameworks, new skills, new practices.
- Ongoing Connections: to other participants, to your community.
- Support for pilot projects: $500+.
- Support for second-stage projects: up to $2500.
- Stipend for expenses of attending trainings.
What’s the impact on you? (How you change):
- Sense of purpose.
- You are not alone.
- Supportive accountability.
- Design thinking.
What’s the impact on your neighborhood and greater New Haven? (Why this matters):
- Relational connections: resiliency, understanding, resourcing, social change.
- Health, safety, prosperity; children, youth, families.
- Collective liberation.
- As big as you can imagine.
Join our mailing list to receive notices about each year's program and application deadlines.
|Join our mailing list|